Our History

Our Parish Timeline

 

 

 

Summer 1948

  • Six neighbor families meet to begin planning for a new parish on the West Mesa
    • Tito Baca
    • Damacio Hererra
    • Louie Miera
    • Antonio and Connie Ortiz
    • Jesus Nevarro
    • Bert and Mary Terrazas

July 16, 1950

  • Archbishop Edwin Byrne dedicates Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish
  • Father Carl Hammer serves as the first pastor

1950

  • Religious education classes organized by Rose Saavedra
  • Holy Name Society organized by Arthur Huchmala
  • Altar Rosary Society organized by Mary Richter
  • Building Committee organized to plan for fundraising process for a new permanent church building

1953-56

  • Father Leo Fay serves as Pastor

January 29, 1955

  • Archbishop Edwin Byrne dedicates the completed new church

1956-67

  • Father Richard Spellman serves as Pastor

May 16, 1959

  • Beautiful new church building severely damaged by fire.

December 7, 1959

  • Archbishop Edwin Byrne rededicates the renovated church

February 2, 1963

  • Groundbreaking for construction of new school and convent

1967-70

  • Monsignor Francis Reinburg serves as Pastor

1970-82

  • Monsignor Francis O’Byrne serves as Pastor

1978

  • 1978 Ordination of the parish’s first deacon, Deacon Harry Beare

1982-85

  • Father Antony Bolman serves as Pastor

1985

  • Norbertine Community signs a commitment with Archbishop Robert Sanchez to assume pastoral responsibility for Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish

1985-68

  • Edward Sdano, O.Praem., serves as Pastor

1987

  • Pastoral Associate for Liturgy and Music created as a permanent position on the Pastoral Team

1986-93

  • Joel Garner, O.Praem., serves as Pastor

1987

  • Planning Begins for the re-conceptualization and design for a new church building and family center

1988

  • Introduction of Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA)
  • Small Christian Community movement Launched by Fr. Vincent DeLeers, O.Praem.
  • “Steward as a Way of Life” teaching introduced
  • Partial renovation of school building for new Family Center concept

September 20, 1992

  • Archbishop Robert Sanchez dedicates the new church building

1993-96

  • Dominic Rossi, O.Praem., serves as Pastor

1993

  • Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary is one of the founding institutions for Albuquerque Interfaith

1996-2013

  • Joel Garner, O.Praem., serves as Pastor

1996

  • Family Faith Formation process initiated by Sr. Evangeline Salazar, OSB

1998

  • Pastoral Associate for Faith Formation created as a permanent position on the Pastoral Team

2000

  • Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary’s 50th Anniversary celebrates parish pioneers of the first decade, 1950-60, who laid the foundation of the parish
    community

2000-01

  • Completion of major renovation of Family Center and Parish Office

2006

  • Pastoral Associate for Administration and Ministries created as a permanent position on the Pastoral Team

2006-2007

  • Archdiocese of Santa Fe Pastoral Plan encourages a parish-wide process to revise Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary’s mission statement and parish goals

2010

  • Sister Parish Covenant signed
  • Sunday, January 17th: Fr. Joel Garner, O.Praem., and Eddie Soto visit San Eugenio Parish in Tijuana, Mexico to sign covenant
  • Sunday, January 24th: Fr. Tom Rush, OMI, Pastor of San Eugenio, visits our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary to sign covenant
  • Pastoral Associate for Faith Formation position redesigned to include outreach and hospitality

2013-Present

  • Robert Campbell , O.Praem., serves as Pastor

2016-Present

  • Fr. Graham Golden, O.Praem., serves as Associate Pastor

2016

  • Director of Communications position created and made as a permanent role